Description of the Training
This topic provides 16 images of ‘Blocking the Route’ for bilharzia. The cards are used to help prompt participants to discuss some of the ways that people can prevent bilharzia and encourage those infected to take the cure.
How to use Card set 19. ‘Bilharzia’
- Hand out the Life Cycle cards and allow each participant to describe what they see on their card.
- Explain carefully how transmission takes place before handing out the Transmission cards, ask each participant with one of these cards to stand infront of the Life Cycle card that shows how bilharzia is spread in that life cycle stage.
- Hand out the Prevention cards, ask the participants who receive these to stand infant of the card showing the transmission practice that is blocked by their prevention card.
- Those with Prevention cards remain in front to take part in the Priority Line Up activity. Summarise the different ways in which bilharzia can be prevented.
- Hold all the cards up in a row and ask participants to sort them into a line showing the easiest to most difficult practice to change.
Link to Facilitator Instructions for Bilharzia:
LIST OF ILLUSTRATED CARDS:
- Worms in the intestine
- Eggs laid in faeces
- Eggs and faeces washed into river
- Eggs hatch into cillae
- Worms burrow into feet
- Person defecating in river bed
- Person urinating near river
- Person standing in the river
- Women washing clothes in river
- Women washing plates in river
- A toiler near the house
- A man burying his faeces
- A man spraying a river
- Women using a hand pump
- A boy washing at home
- A girl washing plates at home