After this session participants will know the roots of Gender based (domestic) Violence lie in the different roles of men and women, the perceive importance of these roles and expected behaviours. Children are often subconsiously socialised into believing that:
1. Gender inequality is the basis of gender based violence – women are valued less than men and are powerless
2. Attitudes of the society (culture, religion and the law) attribute a lesser value to women compared to men.
3. Men can do what they like: women have to accept an inferior status and obey men as they usually have few other options.
4. When society reinforces the rights of men to dominate women this leaves women vulnerable to abuse (physical and mental)
5. Men supported by such cultural beliefs are able to abuse women physically when they are not satisfied for any reason (bullying).
How to use the card set in a participatory way in the Community
Making a Story
Give out the pictures to the group and ask them to make a drama using the the pictures. This will enable you to know more about certain cultural aspects of the community, and give them the chance to show some of the issues surrounding gender based violence.
It is critical that this is followed by a good discussion about that practices are common in the area, and explore the questions above. If necessary split the group into male and female group so as to discuss.
Make sure to complete the session with some clear plans as to how the Community Health Club can do something to help end this practice and support vulnerable women in the area.
Download the pdf layout from link above ‘Materials’
Print each picture on A4 paper.
Fold each paper in half and laminate.
Print out one page Facilitator Guide.
These visual Aids are provided under Creative Commons license whereby you may use them on condition that you agree not to remove the Africa AHEAD logo or accreditation
If you want to add your own logo please contact the course supervisor.
Any alterations or additions can only be done by Africa AHEAD Association
Gender Based Violence
A woman walking behind her husband
A woman carrying heavy firewood
A tired mother caring for large family
A mother working in fields while husband relaxes
A husband scolding his wife and child afraid
A wife begging her husband who refuses to listen
A drunken husband physically threatening a woman
A woman with injured face and her sad daughter
Father refusing to let daughter go to school
Girl staying at home whilst brother goes to school
Boys mocking a girl at school
Teenage boy insulting his mother
Father drunk with sad disempowered wife
Man going with a prostitute
Teacher grooming a young girl student
Men drinking together
Man beating his wife
Office man offering money for sex to secretary
Man begging a powerful woman
Powerful woman threatening a man physically
Some practical ways to act together to address Gender Based Violence in Community Health Clubs: