HOW ? – Self Supply by each household
The most effective means of accessing safe drinking water in rural areas, at least where the water table is high, is to encourage households to upgrade their own well.
Most family wells are traditionally open and the water gets easily contaminated.
At very little expense we train families to achieve the following:
- Construction of family well if ground water is shallow
- Deepen the hole if it runs dry seasonally
- Line the hole with interlocking bricks
- Cement slab to protect the opening
- Windlass and bucket on a chain
- Cover to keep the opening sealed